Tree trimming in Florida doesn’t have a cutoff date.
Tree trimming in Florida is pretty straightforward. You trim to maintain your tree’s appearance and overall health. That said, ArtisTree has found it best to prune in the fall and winter months after trees lose their leaves. Why? For efficiency and health reasons. Specifically:
- You can see their branch structure more easily.
- There’s a lot less debris to clean up.
- When trees are in their dormant stage, they don’t expend energy trying to heal pruning cuts.
- Dormant trees aren’t susceptible to disease like they are in the spring and summer months.
Addressing “on-demand” tree trimming
But back to the “cutoff date” for tree trimming in Florida. If there’s one thing ArtisTree has learned over the years, it’s that homeowners want their trees trimmed when they want them trimmed. Reasons we’ve been given include:
- My mulch has just been put down and I want everything nice and neat.
- I want my trees trimmed before the hurricane season so winds can pass through them better.
- I need my trees trimmed after the hurricane to remove all the dead branches.
- My trees are in good shape but casting too much shade to let my grass grow.
- The limbs are getting too close to my house and need to be cut.
That’s why ArtisTree keeps busy year ‘round, evaluating all homeowner requests and making sure trimming will be beneficial. Too much pruning will stress a tree and put it at risk for insects and diseases. A good rule of thumb is to trim no more than one third of the total tree, or if it’s a single limb, no more than one third of the limb.
What about palm trimming?
While it’s best to trim your trees during cooler the cooler months, palms can be pruned on an as-needed basis depending on their age, location and overall health. ArtisTree finds itself busy with palm trimming in the fall months for many of its communities in Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte counties.
Call ArtisTree & get your dream landscape off the ground.
ArtisTree provides landscape maintenance services for HOA communities throughout SW Florida. Contact Mike Casper at 941.488.8897 for a proposal. Services include irrigation/water management, turf/ornamental maintenance, mulching and seasonal color.
Want to get your Sarasota landscape renovation started? Browse ArtisTree’s portfolio and then call Jenni Lassen at 941.488.8897 to meet with one of our award-winning designers. We’ve proudly served Sarasota, Manatee, and Charlotte counties since 1990.
DEEPER ROOTS. HIGHER STANDARDS.®
sarasota landscape maintenance, Florida tree trimming